2.26.2009

Random word clichés: I'm très keen.

I should be doing homework. Or other important things. However, I will not. At this time. I am thinking about words and how they have their glory time but then they become these cliché words. And I think it is unfair to these words to make them clichés. Example: random. Random used to be a word that meant "made, done, happening or chosen without conscious decision." However, now it rings of "sarcastic teenager, looking down her nose, judging someone less fortunate than her perfect self." The first time I heard someone use the work random with this new connotation was a few years ago, when I worked in a call center. I sat beside this older lady, who I will call Maureen, who was quite religious, conservative, yet somewhat eccentric... if that is possible. Beside her, sat this hip, popular, pretty, young lady who was laughing with her friends. I will call her Luna. Maureen just hung up with a particularly annoying customer, threw her hands up in frustration, and made this strange, gobble-like sound. Luna looked over, made this eye-rolling snot-face and said, "umm, RAND-DUMB!" After that, young people everywhere were saying random-this and random-that.
I was looking through some of my teenaged-cousin's pictures on Facebook, and three times in the same album, she used the word keen. Since when do kids say that? Is keen the next random? The next word cliché? Do you like how I am using accent graves and accent aigus, by the way? I guess my point is that I dislike when people choose words to have a 15-minutes of fame, because if I use the word (it's pre glory-time meaning, of course) during the 15 minutes, I feel like I'm trying really hard to be hip, which makes me look old, because I'm not hip. And I also hate then when the 15 minutes are over, and I use the word, I look old again, because I'm using a word that used to be hip, but is no longer hip.

I know a girl who said cliché three times in the same conversation. She was making cliché a cliché. That is like, metaphysical or something.
So. Yeah. I'm going to compile a list of clichéd words.

*Update*
Here are some other things that annoy the fuck out of me:
1. "I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired."
2. Hearting people/things, as in "I heart my boyfriend" or "Jill hearts obituaries."
3. 24/7 Facebook updates, especially when they talk about either your work schedule, your children's illnesses, incredibly personal things or how much you hate your life. Also, if I delete you because I'm annoyed by your status updates, don't try to be my friend again. Especially if I haven't talked to you in 11 years.
4. People that do not know the difference between your and you're. I understand typos, but when it happens frequently... not good.


Also, here's some stuff that I like:
1. I think I'm a fan of Lilly Allen, especially her cover of Womanizer and the song called Nan, You're a Window Shopper.
2.

That's all I can think of right now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah ive been wanting to talk about how random has got all fucked up. Also even in the 25 random things about you facebook thing- it is not really following its meaning because in fact you are trying to choose an assortment of facts that you find interesting about yourself. sigh.

I can't sleep Jill and its driving me crazy I have been a vampire all week.

yeah heart is overdone- fuck off

blah i am gonna listen to those songs k bye

Jillian Grady said...

yeah the facebook thing is totally the opposite of "random." It's totally strategically planned things about yourself to make people think you're cool or deep or whatever.

try taking melatonin. it's a hormone that helps you sleep. if i can't sleep for like two weeks, I'll take one and it kind of like resets my sleep or something.

did you listen to lilly allen? i'm kind of embarrassed for liking her, but i do. it's better than embarrassingly liking britney spears, i guess.

Jillian Grady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.