She'll Be Comin' Around the Mountain... IN THE KEY OF GEEEEEEEE
In PEI, we havea thing called Community School. I don't know if other places have it or not. Every winter, they advertise classes for random things at locals schools or community centers, you pay $15 and you go for one night a week for ten weeks or so. There's always things like guitar, computers, sewing (which I am taking this year), belly dancing, etc.. Not last year, but the year before, whilst living in Charlottetown, my sister and I took fiddle lessons. I took fiddle lessons yearr ago and know how to play like six tunes or something... but it had been a while... And my sister's boyfriend playes the fiddle, so she knew a little bit, but neither one of us knew enough to be able to say that we play the fiddle. So, we get to the first fiddle class and the teacher... oh my. I wish I had a picture of her. She was a short lady, probably about 55-65 years old.... hard to say... She always wore a trucker had, and it ALWAYS matched her blazer, which matched her pants. She'd either be all in red, green blue or yellow. Once, I made my roommate come just to look in the door to see her. I really wish I had a recording of her voice. It was unbelievable nasaly. So we get there and she asks everyone how much fiddle experience they had. Mostly people either never picked up a fiddle before, or just got one for christmas or something like that... not much experience. She she gets to us and we tell her that we know a little bit, but not much. She says, 'OK. Maybe after class, just go get your $15 back and don't come back. This is a beginner class." We say, "Well, we are beginners." She says, "No, I mean, this class is for people that do not have ANY experience." We say, "Well, we don't REALLY have any experience." She says, "OK, just get your $15 back and don't come back." We say, "Well, I'm sure we'll get SOMETHING out of this, we really would like to stay." So she dropped it for a while, but said again at the end of the class, as well as at the beginning of ever other class, "You know, this IS a BEGINNER class." We think she was scared that we would be better than her. I think we were. She taught us how to play She'll be coming around the mountain IN THE KEY 'A GEEEEEEEE and When Ireeeesh Eyes are Smiling IN THE KEY 'A DEEEEEEEEE. Oh I really wish everyone could hear the voice..... Unbelievable. She called my house one day and left a message. It was saved on the answering maching and listened to over and over and over again by me and my roommates and everyone that came over. She also kept saying, "THANKS A MIL-LI-ON JIL-LI-AN!!"
Melissa is home now. We didn't do anything too exciting last night. We cruised the strip looking for some Kareoke, but alas, there wasn't any. It was Sunday in Summerside, though, so what can you expect, really.... We played Cranium. And we took pictures but none of mine were nice. I'm excited to go on our picture journey and go to trivia. I haven't been to trivia in probably close to a year. I hope I didn't lost my touch. And James is coming too! I'm going to go give the new sobeys another shot...

No comments:
Post a Comment